[asterisk-biz] Carrier that supports DTMF detection (SIP-INFO/Inaband/RFC2833) worldwide?

Ritesh A helloritesh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 22:09:10 CDT 2009

Folks,

We are working on a solution that requires call screening. The user (at
terminating carrier) will be explicitly requested to "Press 1" to accept the
call (no digit pressed in 10 seconds= call rejected). The calls may be
terminated by international carriers. In the past, we have had issues with
DTMF detection using Asterisk/US-Carriers, specially for calls terminating
internationally? Could it be Asterisk/Config issues or could it be issues
with our carrier routes?

We had a bunch of SIP trunks through reputed carriers still there was no
luck claiming full DTMF capabilities? We tried all 3 methods of DTMF
detection and some of them worked most of the time (~75%) and we had users
complaining 25% of the time suggesting call rejection despite their
intention (pressed 1 many times) to accept the call. Since the config worked
most of the time, I suspect it has anything to do Asterisk config. Asterisk
itself could be trouble and that's a different story. By the way, we were
using (and we are planning to use) SIP trunks so no issues on TDM/Timing
etc..

Any pointers/help/comments would be appreciated. Specially, if you suspect
its likely to be a carrier issue, then recommendation for carriers
(international termination) would go a long way for us...

Thanks a lot.

Ritesh