[asterisk-biz] Capitalisation in English writing from Indian subcontinent

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Oct 8 09:35:24 CDT 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, David Knell wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 03:55 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> [an interesting note about capitalisation]
>
> I'm English, but I spend a fair amount of time in the US.  A recent note
> from a US government department granted me "Permission to Initiate
> Training", The Onion tells me that "New Anti-Smoking Ads Warn Teens
> 'It's Gay To Smoke'", and I quite often come across Sentences Or Entire
> Paragraphs Written Like This, usually (I think) with the intention of
> adding emphasis or an air of officialdom.  None of these, according to
> our rules, should be capitalised.  Or capitalized.
>
> Does that make them wrong?  No - it's just one of the differences
> between the grammar of American English and that of mine.

  I hardly think The Onion is the place to go for your grammatical
  correctness guidelines.

  As Alex Said, If The Capitalization Of Words Was Consistent, he might Be
  able to understand.  But this is One of Those things that the
  capitalization makes No sense, and seems almost random and without
  understanding of the Purpose of capitalized letters.

  And I do think it is wrong.  Either use all first-letter caps or use them
  correctly.  Headlines don't count, especially Onion ones.  ;-)