[asterisk-biz] Mobile extensions from Asterisk - HLR registration?

David Burgess dburgess at kestrelsp.com
Wed May 20 12:50:18 CDT 2009

John -

Naturally, if you find such a service, I am eager to know about.

To address your closing questions, the mechanics of standard GSM
roaming are something like this:

* SP-B assigns your MSISDN E.164 when you are provisioned.  All calls
placed to the MSISDN get routed to SP-B's HLR and then forwarded from
there to a hidden temporary E.164 called the MSRN, which is assigned
by a VLR somewhere.  (More on the VLR next.)

* Where ever you roam, even within SP-B's own network, you never deal
with the HLR directly.  Instead, you deal with VLRs.  When you
register with a network, the VLR assigns you an MSRN and reports the
{MSRN,ISMI} pairing to SP-B's HLR so that inbound calls are routed
correctly.  Note that all calls are routed as roaming calls through
VLRs, even when you are within your home network.

* In the proposed service, when you "roam" to SP-A, SP-A assigns you
a local MRSN.  SP-A then contacts SP-B's HLR and reports the
{MSRN,IMSI} pairing.  To do this, SP-A needs to appear to SP-B's HLR
as a VLR.  From an implementation standpoint, this probably means
operating a full-featured SIP-GSM/MAP gateway and having peering
agreements with GSM carriers.

* As long as SP-A's roaming registration is in effect, all calls
placed to your MSISDN get forwarded to SP-A's MRSN by SP-B's HLR,
then, presumably, terminated in whatever device or third-party
network you have registered with SP-A.

* The most recent {MSRN,IMSI} registration is effective.  To my
knowledge there is no mechanism for conflicts.

[That's a slight simplification, but any real GSM operator is welcome
to correct any of that if I got it wrong or left our something really
important for this discussion.  I've punted on the SMS part of the
question, which includes a whole extra layer of routing among the
SMSCs, but has a similar theme to it.]

You only need one GSM carrier to step forward and act as SP-A,
assuming it doesn't get them black-balled from the GSM Association.
The ideal candidate would be a company that already operates both
VoIP routing services and a PLMN-connected GSM VLR.  It could be a
valuable service.  If I weren't neck deep in a lawsuit with Martone
Radio Technology, I might be out raising capital to do this myself,
since we will eventually need a service like this to act as a roaming
clearinghouse for OpenBTS systems.

-- David