[asterisk-biz] Number of hops- Termination

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon May 18 01:24:54 CDT 2009

 From an engineering perspective, the number of political and
administrative entities intervening in the call path isn't nearly as
interesting as the network topology.

However, a traceroute - that is, an illumination of Layer 3 hops, and
indeed, furthermore, merely of those which permit ICMP
TTL-exceeded-in-transit messages to originate from or pass through them
- is unlikely to be of any utility whatsoever.  The interesting facts
about the quality of an ITSP doing termination relate to their physical
location, peering relationship to various Tier 1 backbones, the
bandwidth they have to them, and the gear involved.  And all that is
only relevant if they themselves do SIP access with their underlying
carriers.  Otherwise, there may be a wealth of TDM network elements
involved, and in either scenario, plenty of <= Layer 2 elements that
also have an effect on the conceptual ultimacy that is the "path" or the
"hops" involved.

What happens to the call beyond the ITSP's handoff to the underlying
carrier is also of interest, as the topologies of the physical
interconnected TDM networks that may be used to reach the PSTN are as
innumerable as the mind can allow.  What happens to the call once it
goes beyond an incumbent POI (point of interconnect) and to a tandem is
also germane to the overall question of "hops."

In short, Sandeep, either you need to focus your question more to give
it more conceptual integrity, else what you appear to be asking for is
impossible.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems