[asterisk-biz] Antarctica.

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Mar 20 18:41:24 CDT 2009

Orbcomm, to my knowledge, is data-only and slow, asynchronous data at
that.  I used them extensively for a vehicle tracking company I ran a
while back.  I have a basement full of various Orbcomm gear, including
three new GSC100 handhelds - anyone want to make me an offer on it?
It still works great; in fact, they recently launched a few more birds.

The link to Palmer Station is geostationary, as are most ground
stations.  I don't know which satellite is used for the Internet/voice
traffic.  McMurdo and Scott are connected via Telecom New Zealand
satellite.  See notes herein:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Base

I seem to recall someone telling me that there were experiments with
Asterisk at McMurdo.  More information would be interesting if anyone
has details.

JT