[asterisk-biz] Antarctica.

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Mar 20 16:22:54 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 14:39 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> This I know;  I was wondering about specifics.

I think orbcomm has some coverage of that area as well.  They claimed
98% of the earth most of the time and 2 minutes until one pops up in an
uncovered area.

You can always look for keplerian elements of telecom satellites and see
which are in polar orbit and which would go down that far.  Some
geostationary (longer delay not typically used for voice) may be
reachable with a larger gain antenna (read bigger parabolic).

NASA offers "jtrack" free which is a web based tracking system for
satellites (they already have the keplerian elements for many up there)
and I think google earth also has them, so you can look for networks
that can at least make it reasonable and rule out the rest.

Then its an issue of who has what gear specifically.

I am assuming of course you already ruled out an easier way to find who
is doing what, using search engines ...

Google seemed to indicate that "telecast fiber systems inc" linked
antartica for a telecast, perhaps they are using the surplus bandwidth
for some voice.

There are rumors that GBLX has a satellite link there
http://www.globalcrossing.com/news/2008/june/05.aspx

I am sure a fairly simple google query would return even more
information, perhaps
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=antarctica
+telecommunications&btnG=Search

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721