[asterisk-biz] Google's voice product [OT]

Alexander Harrowell alexander.harrowell at stlpartners.com
Wed Mar 18 05:30:26 CDT 2009

If I was a mobile operator, this would worry me because it's (another) assault
on my roaming margins - you can get GSM prepaid minutes of use for dirt cheap
pretty much everywhere, but the main barrier to using them is that you need to
get everyone who might call you to use the right number. Now, you can hook up
any random SIM as the access side and receive calls on your global number.

The flip of this is that better voice products aren't necessarily inimical to
telcos - in so far as they cause people to talk, they generate billable
minutes.