[asterisk-biz] Google's voice product [OT]

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Mar 17 12:26:05 CDT 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/technology/personaltech/12pogue.html?_r=1

The Pogue article is, as to be expected, gushingly lavish with Google
praise.

Which leads me to a question:  how is this envisioned in the world of
consumer VoIP (is anyone even still IN that business) ?  The article
mentions that the entire service, single number, VoIP calling,
transcription services, etc. will be completely free and ad-free. Where,
then, is the business plan?

As we've noticed in our several years of being in business, consumer
VoIP users are, for a lack of a better term, fickle. While
facilities-based VoIP has a certain amount of customer retention simply
because it targets home installations, the rest of the consumer VoSP
world seems to see a rather high turnaround of users. It's still
reasonably newer tech, and those who have the knowledge to put it to
good use treat it, rightly, as a commodity. As long as the service is
tolerable and the price is good, they'll jump ship from one VoSP to
another faster than you can send a SIP REGISTER packet.

With this in mind, it seems that cost comes first and foremost, and
service quality second. People jump for cost, but they will stick around
an extra five seconds for quality of service, simply because the other
players out there become an unknown.

But here is Google, pushing VoIP tech (which will almost certainly
integrate into their Google Talk services) to the consumer with all the
trimmings of GrandCentral, plus some of Google's characteristically
flashy, but likely very beta or late alpha services -- all for free.

With its constant marketing steamroller, and its massive brand
recognition, I don't see, honestly, how 95% of the non-facilities-based
consumer voice products out there will stand up to it.

But how long will it be the way it is now -- free of charge for basic
services and ad-free? Is this a first salvo to slaughter the competition
as cleanly as possible before the shift in business models? I don't see
how even Google could sustain a product of this complexity and sheer
cost without SOME method of making that cost back, and if common models
of free to pay business marketing have taught us anything, it's that you
can't build a sustainable business model around a service which is
primarily free except for a few bits and pieces that might cost if
people bother to use them.

Ideas? Comments? Snide remarks?

N.