[asterisk-biz] PBX got Hacked

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Mar 11 09:16:14 CDT 2009

Trixter -- why do your emails come in with an X-Unknown character set?  drives
me nuts...  I have to copy and paste your replies.

trixter wrote:

> it also relies upon linux, and not everyone using asterisk is using
> linux.  Anything that further ties asterisk to a particular operating
> system seems counterproductive.
>
> systrace would likely be a better unix alternative than selinux given
> what selinux does (generally speaking it adds a 3rd id to the uid/gid
> pair).

  While systrace can be useful, it is yet another piece of software you need
  to maintain and can open security bugs.  Most of the 1.6x updates of
  Systrace are due to CERT security bulletins or privilege escallation bugs.
  It's great for making sure users on the box are being good, but since
  we're talking about a server, not a multi-user login-able system, systrace
  is more of a 3rd line of defense than 1st.  Plus it may open you to MORE
  risk, due to the occasional security bug in systrace, especially if you
  aren't good at keeping up with the latest versions.

Beckman