[asterisk-biz] ABE concurrent calls or channels

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:23:57 CDT 2009

Hello,

I am working on a client proposal and I was just wondering if someone
could clear this up for me, the Digium website claims that:

"Asterisk Business Edition supports from 10 to 240 simultaneous calls
per system."
(http://www.digium.com/en/products/software/abe.php?tab=benefits)

Is this really Asterisk "calls" or is this Asterisk "channels"?

There is a big difference between the two and I was looking for a
clarification before I put any specifications in this proposal. If a
call is originating from a SIP phone on the server over a SIP trunk
that would be 1 call, but 2 channels. If those two SIP end points went
into a meetme conference that would then be 4 Asterisk channels(you
need pseudo channels for non Zap/DAHDI meetme participant channels).
You can see where the math could be very different depending on
Digium's definition of "calls".

Thanks,

MATT---