[asterisk-biz] PBX got Hacked

Vikram Rangnekar vicky at freebsdcluster.net
Tue Mar 10 00:40:48 CDT 2009

+++ VIP Carrier [07/02/09 18:35 -0500]:
> Guys,
> I can't belive that our client's PBX got hacked today.
> My client has a SwitchVOX SMB and it got hacked!
> some F at ckers with a following IP's
> 91.121.132.208
> 69.60.114.222
> was able to send a calls in a matter of 1 hr for more then $2000
>
> what can I say stay a way from switchvox

This is one of the reasons why we use the concept of users and alpha numeric
passwords for softphones and auto-generated large alpha numeric passwords for
stations in Druid.

The main reasons for all this brute force hacking of Asterisk (a new
phenomenon) is the proliferation of Asterisk (obviously) and configurations
where the extension is the same as the authentication credentials for the
phones (My extension is 100 my pin is 1234 and I use this for my voicemail as
well as for authenticating my phone with the server)

Ok well its possible your pin if 3214 even that does not really matter to a
brute force attack over SIP where there is no real forced delay between retry
attempts.

--
regards
Vikram