[asterisk-biz] Bandwidth via Dry Copper Pair

Scott L. Lykens slykens at verimedservices.com
Mon Jun 8 12:43:48 CDT 2009

Apologies for the top post...

First, I don't think the telco is going to let you do this. They caught
on to this a long time ago in most places.

If you're close enough for copper can you do wireless? (Licensed for
reliability - Should nearly match any copper circuit)

Another option is metro Ethernet. I think we could probably swing
point-to-point metro Ethernet from our local CLEC for <$1000 per month.

The only thing I can think of that would probably be kosher with all
involved would be to become a DSL reseller through your xLEC but even if
they still do that you're probably looking at a significant investment
there.

The other side of this is that if you do manage to get something running
on dry copper you have no SLA. What happens when/if the xLEC makes a
change to your pair that results in loss of service? All they've likely
guaranteed is connectivity between 400 Hz and 3 kHz. They won't want to
hear that your xDSL no longer runs on it and your client won't want to
hear that it's not your fault.

sl