[asterisk-biz] London +44 020 0xxx xxxx New?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Jun 5 11:29:30 CDT 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Alistair Cunningham wrote:

> See page 27 of:
>
> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/numplan170608.pdf

  Thanks Alistair.  It seems that some further digging makes it clear that
  many people in the London area don't understand their own numbering
  system:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_code_misconceptions

     Widespread UK telephone code misconceptions, in particular brought on
     by the Big Number Change in 2000, have been reported by regulator Ofcom
     since publication of a report it commissioned in 2004.[1] A further
     study was commissioned in 2005, which found that only 13% of
     respondents correctly identified the code for London ("020") without
     prompting: 59% incorrectly identified it as "0207" or "0208".[2]

  So the answer is: Any 020 number is London.  0207 and 0208 are legacy,
  0203 was added in June 2005.  I can't find any documentation that 0200
  numbers are now valid, but I suppose 0201, 0202, 0204, 0205, 0206 and 0209
  are all valid London numbers, even if they haven't been allocated and
  given out yet.

  Can anyone confirm that 0200 numbers are now being handed out?  I can't
  find any documentation that actively discusses the new phase of numbers.

  Obviously I have a few 0200 numbers and they work, but it seems that 0207
  and 0208 numbers are going to be coveted, like the US area codes 212 and
  800 and CA 416.

  We humans are bizarre about change.

Beckman