[asterisk-biz] DID and CNAM

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 10 14:29:43 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > I am a capitalist.
> >
> > If I can get a little extra money to pay my phone bill then great.
> >
> > If someone calls that number, and the caller ID is real and true, and
> > they provide DNC functionality then it is not pointless or "retarded".
> >
> > How is it any different than if they call you directly to be removed
> > (except you make no green)?
> >
> > Don't get your logic.....
>
> The logic has to do with the fact that arbitrage opportunities that
> exploit differences in settlement regimes across jurisdictions or
> markets are short-lived and for a sustainable business model do not
> make.  This is no different than CABS traffic pumping schemes or
> anything else.  What all these feats of endeavour - however much or
> little money they can make for the moment - have in common is that (a)
> they are figments of increasingly decrepit regulation, and (b) markets
> rationalise them away.  The latter happens gradually, so you see the
> spreads you can capture shrink.
>
> So, you'd be better off spending the time and energy involved in
> enrolling into such a scheme developing a product that actually adds
> value and can be monetised in greater perpetuity.
>
> Dip arbitrage is a game people who do not have the ingenuity to do
> something with higher ROI play.  There will always be plenty of those,
> and they will always say they're just being good capitalists and taking
> free money, but as we know, technology-focused capitalism is an
> environment where those who know - do, and those who don't desperately
> grasp for straws and/or try to find coattails to cling to (nickel and
> dime vendors, pinch pennies, make money off little fees, engage in
> purely speculative resale, etc.).
>
> -- Alex
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web     : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel     : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct  : (+1) (678) 954-0671

Sorry to say that everything is shortlived.  Grab it while you can and be
ready to move quickly to the next thing.

BTW, ANI dip compensation has been around a long time, so define short
lived.

To list a few, dialup access (AOL for instance), sub-prime mortgages,
mortgage brokering, auto industry, pagers, VCR and everything that entailed,
DVD going to Blu-Ray, manufacturing in the US, call centers in the US.

You name it, I can predict when it will stop living.

Only certainties in life, are death and taxes.  It pertains to business just
as much as people.

Here is a big one nobody is talking about on the lists, probably deserves a
post of it's own.

http://privacylaw.proskauer.com/2008/10/articles/direct-marketing/telemarketers-beware-new-ftc-restrictions-on-prerecorded-calls-take-effect-soon/

--
Thanks,