[asterisk-biz] DID and CNAM

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Jul 10 13:57:54 CDT 2009

Steve Totaro wrote:

> I am a capitalist.
>
> If I can get a little extra money to pay my phone bill then great.
>
> If someone calls that number, and the caller ID is real and true, and
> they provide DNC functionality then it is not pointless or "retarded".
>
> How is it any different than if they call you directly to be removed
> (except you make no green)?
>
> Don't get your logic.....

The logic has to do with the fact that arbitrage opportunities that
exploit differences in settlement regimes across jurisdictions or
markets are short-lived and for a sustainable business model do not
make.  This is no different than CABS traffic pumping schemes or
anything else.  What all these feats of endeavour - however much or
little money they can make for the moment - have in common is that (a)
they are figments of increasingly decrepit regulation, and (b) markets
rationalise them away.  The latter happens gradually, so you see the
spreads you can capture shrink.

So, you'd be better off spending the time and energy involved in
enrolling into such a scheme developing a product that actually adds
value and can be monetised in greater perpetuity.

Dip arbitrage is a game people who do not have the ingenuity to do
something with higher ROI play.  There will always be plenty of those,
and they will always say they're just being good capitalists and taking
free money, but as we know, technology-focused capitalism is an
environment where those who know - do, and those who don't desperately
grasp for straws and/or try to find coattails to cling to (nickel and
dime vendors, pinch pennies, make money off little fees, engage in
purely speculative resale, etc.).

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov