[asterisk-biz] Call Recording and Legal Issues in the US

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Jan 28 12:52:51 CST 2009

I'm aware that in some states and in some cases there are differing rules
about who and when a caller or callee can or cannot record a phone call.

As a service provider, I can easily enable my users to record calls on
demand, for only some of calls, or for all calls.

The question is, do I need to, in our Terms of Service, specifically say

     "The user is responsible for following all applicable laws regarding
     call recording.  The user will hold harmless Company and its vendors
     partners and subsidiaries for violations of any laws regarding call
     recording."

Or would we be covered by a general you can't sue us clause.

Please -- no conjecture, only reply if you actually know from a good legal
source the answer.

Beckman