[asterisk-biz] DIDx Issues (Was: Re: Nonprofit Org Who Helps Families Telethon)

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 00:36:26 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 13:09, Trixter aka Bret McDanel
<trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 12:14 -0500, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
>> Can you look at ticket # 702556000194?
>>
>> This is very simple:
>>

> apparently it isnt.
>

>> Asterisk is down, I am simulating that with the command "stop now,"
>> Calls should then go to the failover SIP address, but they do not.
>>
>> I have been back and forth for weeks with your support and they do not
>> figure it out. I am not even sure they understand what I am saying.
>>

> is this related to the below request for a non-profit doing a telethon?
> If it is I am confused by it.
>
> If it isnt, I am unsure what ticket system you refer to.  Additionally I
> am unsure what your setup is since you havent even provided more
> information.  Odds are the equipment that is supposed to do the failover
> isnt even asterisk.  Further I do not think that its a business list
> question (unless you are asking for a consultant to fix your problem
> with failover).
>
> Or was this supposed to be a private email to someone at supertec that
> you posted to a public mailing list?
>

>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 15:34, Suzanne Bowen <suzanne at supertec.com> wrote:
>> > There is a Northwest Florida organization http://www.linkingarms.org who
>> > wants to have a telethon using open source telephony technologies. If anyone
>> > reading this is interested in talking with the executive director Kenny
>> > about this, please email me OFF the list so we won't bother the list with
>> > further details.

You are right, the message was sent to the wrong person. But now that
this is out in the open, let me explain:

DIDx has an "alternate ring-to" feature. So if our Asterisk server is
down, the calls can roll-over elsewhere.

This feature is not working. The calls do roll-over, but there is no
audio (even using DIDx's own "carrierx.us" proxy) and drop a few
seconds later. Testing from a landline, the caller hears a few seconds
of silence and then a reorder tone. If we set the "alternate ring-to"
proxy as the primary ring-to, it does work. Clearly the issue is on
DIDx's end.

I conducted my testing by issuing the "stop now" command at the CLI
and called the DID number from an AT&T landline phone.

I was promised last week this would be looked into, fixed, etc. But no
response thusfar. I am going to stop using DIDx as it has been one big
headache. On top of this not working, the CDRs on their website are
incorrect -- either they have inept programmers or they do absolutely
no QA testing on their code -- but they'll gladly sell you a copy for
upwards of $20,000.