[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jan 5 02:23:15 CST 2009

Ken Rice wrote:

> I don't think it does... How else are you going to bill it start and stop of
> media? Then how do you account for early media? Do you really wanna pay for
> the ringing cause some (l)user cant get it thru his head that after 45
> seconds changes are they arent going to answer

That's not really how billing methods that consider media stream state
work.  They have to be involved in the signaling, too, otherwise they
get none of the metadata about the call setup / teardown, such as ANI,
destination, etc.  They know that the media corresponding to a one-way
1xx SDP offer is early media.  These CDR catchers pretty much work as
you might expect.

The difference is simply this:  When you're handling media, you have a
way of knowing when media from one or both endpoints stops flowing and
doesn't start again after a certain minor timeout.  So, for example, the
B2BUA and media relay process in an SBC will know to throw a RADIUS
accounting STOP record in a CDR for which it is not seeing media anymore
from one (or both) endpoints as set up by an INVITE and 200 OK SDP
offer/answer.

It's just about knowing when the call ends based on the media stream
versus waiting for a BYE.  Other than that, signaling is still heavily
brought to bear on the accounting process.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems