[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Ken Rice krice at rmktek.com
Mon Jan 5 02:07:04 CST 2009

> From: Nitzan Kon <nk3569 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 23:57:34 -0800 (PST)
> To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
> <asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.
>
> I totally agree with you in principal, but the problem is that
> the issue is not on our side. It is on the carrier side. I'm
> making an assumption here, but if out of many carriers we use
> only one displays these symptoms then something is wrong with
> THEIR system - not ours.

This is very possible

> In other words - I can't fix it nor find out what is wrong,
> because nothing is wrong on our side. I suspect it's related
> to them not proxying the calls - but I could be wrong. When
> I complained I was told "your server probably didn't send a
> SIP BYE" which may or may not be true, but even if it is true
> I think the idea that a crashed server or lost packets on the
> client side would cause a call to continue forever or until a
> pre-set max timeout is ridiculous on a carrier level. They
> MUST account for such situations.

This is specifically what session timers is supposed to avoid

> To make things worse- the fact that the carrier is making
> quite a bit of extra profit from this bug gives them zero
> incentive to fix it and all the incentive in the world to
> blame it on our server, our users' CPE, or the weather. It's
> not THEIR $$$ at stake so they don't give a crap.

They start giving a crap when you start disputing bills and backing it up
with logs showing that the call was hungup at a certain time from your...
This is nothing new when it comes to dealing with carrier interconnects it
even happens between the CLECs and RBOCs on cabs billings

> Of course, it *IS* their $$$ at stake when they lose our
> business - but that's a whole different story...

You just stole the page from my book... There usually are other carriers
that will give you a comparable rate and service out there...