[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Ken Rice krice at rmktek.com
Sun Jan 4 23:12:54 CST 2009

I have seen this time and time again and it typically is 1 of 2 things that
cause this problem... Either the buyers gear or the sellers gear is dropping
calls for a variety of reasons...

However "missed a bye" is a pretty poor excuse for the situation... BYEs are
acknowledged... And resent a number of times... Even if you did miss 1 BYE
message, I doubt you missed 6 or 8 of them as the end terminating the call
would resend them repeatedly until it gave up...

A perfect example of how this can happen is where an ITSP is trying to route
all their calls via asterisk and some telemarketer signs up and dropps 1000
calls/sec on them. Asterisk is not designed to handle this kind of volume.
(There are people out there that will claim this but I challenge them to
publish a document with verifiable results) So you end up with a hung
(deadlocked) or crashed system that eventually is reset and you just lost
who knows how many calls and how many CDRs leaving you no good way to bill
for the time or validate your bill from the upstream carrier. And this is
not just an Asterisk issue this is any switching solution that gets
overloaded be it asterisk, coppercom, nextone or even Sonus. (altho most of
those guys have some radius based nibble billing so they atleast don't loose
a full CDR)