[asterisk-biz] Can anyone transfer a Canadian number

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jan 3 14:32:23 CST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 15:16 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> On 1/3/09, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> > That would depend on where the number went "back" to.
> >
> >  Underlying carrier? Pooling? Another level of ITSP resale?
> >
> >  Number block ownership and routing is assigned. Carriers can't just
> >  pick a number and start providing it. Kind of like IP addresses and BGP.
> >

>   I don't know if I would make the comparison to IP and BGP...
>
>   It's widely known (and demonstrated) that very, very few (if any)
> upstreams filter and/or verify route advertisements.  It's really a
> mess.
>
>   Spammers advertised "unused" blocks they find and spam from them.
>
>   Pakistani Telecom jacks YouTube somewhat-globally with a more
> specific advertisement of YouTube's IP space.
>
>   Pilosov/Kapela attack, etc.
>
>   Totally off topic but I though I'd at least bring it up.

on a side note I discovered that some telephone carriers were using
unassigned blocks and they were routable for a while in iowa.  So
stranger things have happened in the telecom world.  According to NANPA
these blocks were never issued to anyone, ever.  Google also returns
several hundred businesses advertising numbers in this block (like
garages, markets, and others not online or shady things).

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721