[asterisk-biz] Can anyone transfer a Canadian number

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:16:46 CST 2009

On 1/3/09, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> That would depend on where the number went "back" to.
>
>  Underlying carrier? Pooling? Another level of ITSP resale?
>
>  Number block ownership and routing is assigned. Carriers can't just
>  pick a number and start providing it. Kind of like IP addresses and BGP.

  I don't know if I would make the comparison to IP and BGP...

  It's widely known (and demonstrated) that very, very few (if any)
upstreams filter and/or verify route advertisements.  It's really a
mess.

  Spammers advertised "unused" blocks they find and spam from them.

  Pakistani Telecom jacks YouTube somewhat-globally with a more
specific advertisement of YouTube's IP space.

  Pilosov/Kapela attack, etc.

  Totally off topic but I though I'd at least bring it up.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org