[asterisk-biz] Tier 1 SIP Providers?

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Wed Feb 18 13:27:15 CST 2009

> Looking into how SIP providers work it seems like many of the companies
> are reselling SIP service from bigger providers.

Quite likely. Do bear in mind, however, that unless you're shifting many millions of minutes each month, many of the "big boys" won't actually be interested in dealing with you.

> Does it make sense
> that you then run into issues using these smaller companies since there
> are more HOPS added into the mix, since you need to access them, then
> they need to send you over to the main reseller?

Not necessarily. If they're running their networks properly and are appropriately connected with the Tier 1 providers they're using, then you should see virtually no difference in quality of service vs.  the Tier 1 providers themselves.

I know from our experience as one of these "smaller companies", many of our customers (who are also wholesalers in their own right) wouldn't be able to deal with the larger providers without the aggregated minutes we collectively achieve. In addition, we can help out with issues like NAT, billing, etc. that the larger Tier 1s would probably say "your problem, not ours" to, when asked for assistance.

Regards,

Chris