[asterisk-biz] Partition of Sylantro or BroadWorks

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Feb 16 14:23:23 CST 2009

We have not never dealt with Commpartners personally, but a number of
our clients have.

There are lots of vendors that offer this type of thing, and the number
one fear is that they are fly-by-night.  A lot of them are.  Some of
them can actually put the technology together somewhat decently, but
that's where their competency and value stops outright.

What seems to set Commpartners about is that they understand that viable
business is mostly about good execution -- and, as part of that
desiderata, great process -- not just pieces of equipment. You can't
just plug in a resale platform on a few Asterisk boxes and say, "OK,
sell VoIP!"  It's that kind of intellectual coherence, conceptual
integrity, and understanding of economics that I think good resellers
are looking for.

Although opinions certainly vary, there is consensus among my clients
that use them that Commpartners seems to have a good provisioning
process, a viable and worthwhile and usable support process, a lot of
up-front white-label marketing and promotional material and other
content to help get folks started, timely and up-to-date rate sheets and
product definition and other things that help create a solid rebranding
fabric, and stuff like that.  It's fairly turn-key, although I'm sure
not without its problems.

It's getting that stuff right that sets serious vendors apart from the
cottage industry in this space.  It's critical to do something for
business development in order to actually enable resellers to:

(1) Actually market;

(2) Actually sell;

(3) Develop streamlined workflow processes that can be replicated at
decreasing marginal cost.

Many small providers of this type of setup in the cottage industry are
too busy being enamoured with the technology and ogling their servers to
have any grasp of this.  They may have the network elements, but not the
people elements, nor the backoffice tools, nor the product fundamentals
to get the operational formula right for a real-world reseller.

Just my $.02, based on what we've seen working with several successful
ITSPs' decisionmaking process.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov