[asterisk-biz] PBX got Hacked

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Feb 7 20:54:25 CST 2009

Agreed strongly.

1) For one, it sounds like you allowed remote root logins directly via
SSH via password.  Many people seem to do this for convenience.  This is
VERY BAD and should NEVER, EVER be allowed under any circumstances.
Only password access to user accounts should be permitted 100% of the time.

2) Secondly, SSH should really not be open to the public at all.  With
some hosts, that just can't be helped (public access boxes).  For a PBX,
there is absolutely no reason why SSH should be open to anyone but you.

My SSH on all servers is firewalled to everyone in the world and I can
only get in through an OpenVPN management VPN.  If for some reason that
fails or I am on a host that doesn't have a client, there are a few IPs
that are allowed in as a back door.  That's it.

If you are not following #1 and #2 and got hacked, there really should
not be any surprises.  And if you don't know how SwitchVOX works under
the hood and what it sets these settings to, that's even worse.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems