[asterisk-biz] Dial a Meal

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Dec 20 15:12:46 CST 2009

I believe it is a question related to the transaction of commerce
("biz", as the kids say these days), if I had to put it in context of
Thomas's few previous unanswered posts inquiring about good ideas for
Asterisk-powered business models.

Thomas, as far as your question:  I don't know.  I submit that the
reason that your previous questions about business models went
unanswered is because there is no simple formula for determining whether
a business proposal is viable.

If you are asking about technical viability, your suggestion below is
possible to implement.

Whether it would work as a sustainable _business model_ that can grow
and scale in a way that produces sound returns for you is an entirely
different matter, and depends on many, many things.  A few off the top
of my head, in a Business School 101 kind of way:

(a) Your location;

(b) The capital and operational cost basis involved relative to your
prospective price point, including the scalability and dimensioning of
costs at low and high volumes;

(c) Your price point(s) or ranges;

(d) The amount of capital you have to invest in marketing and promoting
such a service;

(e) Size of addressable market given constraints of D;

(f) The demographic and/or social group such a service would be marketed to;

(g) The accessibility and return on investment of the demographic and/or
social group to which you would market based on the constraints of A, B,
C and D;

(f) Actual interest in such a service on the part of what you imagine to
be the prospective users;

(h) The availability and cost of vendors and partners to help provide
inputs to your product and meet your needs at the right price.

Despite no shortage of formidable attempts by large companies that do
these things in a heavy-handed, management-intensive, capital-intensive
kind of way to conduct expensive market studies and/or deploy focus
groups, a lot of the demand side of this equation is likely to be
something you can only discover by trying it.

That's the whole premise of entrepreneurship;  you take a risk by
betting on something you think meets a need, and perhaps it works,
perhaps it doesn't.

Perhaps it will turn out there is a lot of demand for it, but your
execution is poor and does not actually fulfill it in a way that
satisfies the customers.  Perhaps your execution will be excellent and
your cost inputs viable, but there is no serious demand.  Perhaps there
would be serious demand but you do not have the marketing capital,
talent pool and/or facility to reach tap into it, or perhaps there will
be little demand despite excellent marketing work on your part.  Perhaps
there is no demand for it now because such a service has not been
extensively contemplated, but you can help create a new market - and
therefore, new demand - wherever it is you are.

These are all things you are in a better position to estimate than
anybody on this list, and the exact same goes for any other questions
along the lines of, "How do I make money with Asterisk?"

-- Alex