[asterisk-biz] G.722 Transcoding

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Dec 3 16:19:12 CST 2009

Peter Briffett wrote:

> Hi All,
> We are thinking of building a G.722 module for our Screamer Transcoding
> card. So transcoding G.722-G.711, G.722-G.729 (and vice-versa).
> Interested in any thoughts if there is a market...

The problem would be that promoting a low-definition codec to an HD
codec means the acoustic bandwidth of the low-definition signal is the
limiting factor.  You can't add richness to a data stream in which it
was not present to begin with.  So, the only practical application for
this would be taking a stream that's HD by default and downsampling it
to make it accessible to people not equipped with HD endpoints.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems