[asterisk-biz] Dear Termination Providers,

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Apr 27 15:03:39 CDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Miles Scruggs wrote:

> I think you maybe shocked to see what a full rate deck actually looks
> like. A complete deck (if it is competitive) can be upwards of 300,000
> lines.  If you have a termination provider that is selling US 48 at a
> flat rate with no restrictions they either aren't doing it to every
> market, or it is way over priced.   (If anyone out there wants to
> terminate the US 48 with no restrictions for $0.01/min I have a little
> over 1,000,000 per day to send you)
>
> What really gets me is all the different ways that international is
> done, and the fact that most sheets give you names instead of dialing
> codes.  Names are next to useless when trying to rate a call and every
> carrier has a different name for each dialing code compared to the
> next carrier out there.  In short being competitive with your rates,
> and billing calls isn't not trivial which is why some billing software
> alone runs upwards of $100,000.
>
> None of these are great reasons for not publishing a deck, but the
> average person buying termination doesn't want to bother with a
> 300,000 line long rate deck.

  That's ok -- don't publish it!  But when I'm your customer, I want your
  rates, all of them, in a computer-digestable format, and easily updatable.
  If you are giving me a flat rate, I want to see that in the rate deck.  If
  you want to publish something different to the public, great!  But as a
  customer, I want the full rate deck for EVERY destination supported, so I
  don't have to manually update the rates you left out because you didn't
  consider the US worthy of inclusion.

  I understand some do full npanxx, but most I deal with (I'm a small fry
  compared to your 1M minutes per day) give me a flat blended rate, and I
  want to know what I can and cannot terminate to and at what cost.