[asterisk-biz] Common charging patterns for US-based carriers

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Fri Sep 5 14:10:08 CDT 2008

We've had a few carriers for PSTN termination over the years, and with
our most recent one (Vitelity), I've noticed something that's unusual in
OUR experience, so I'm wondering how common it is.

For what they call "international" calls -- i.e. calls outside the US-48
(they're ALL "international" to US, since we're not a US-based company),
they start charging based on when the call was initiated and not when it
was established. Whereas, for US-48 calls, they bill based on when the
call connects. Is that normal? Was the first we'd seen it, so I was just
somewhat curious whether that was common practice. It was wholly
unexpected for us, as we bill our customers based on when the call
connects to the other party and not when it starts 'dialing' to the
other party.

Just somewhat curious as to everyone else's experience with carriers.
We've certainly no complaint with Vitelity's service -- just thought it
was a little odd.

N.