[asterisk-biz] General development funding: discussion and survey

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Oct 31 12:53:11 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) <vhatz at kinetix.gr
> wrote:

> John Todd wrote:
> > Any mechanism that could improve the
> > Asterisk Open Source project is interesting to me, regardless of how
> > well we believe the current model works.   If there's interest -
> > great!  Let's see if it's serious.  If not, OK, then things seem to be
> > working as they are now.
> >

> It's great that there are people who are looking for additional ways to
> improve Asterisk. However, I second the opinion that too many patches
> and additions are/were sitting idle without being added in the project.
> Some of them were important and/or useful IMHO.
>
> Even though personally I only made a few additions and patches here and
> there for the chan_h323 and chan_ooh323 as well as testing and bug
> submissions, personally I felt discouraged to continue sending
> improvements, after the first initial ones. Some of the later ones that
> I didn't send just sit idle on my hard drive and now that Asterisk has
> moved to version 1.6 they are just out of date.
>
> I believe that mine is only an example of a small (perhaps negligible)
> amount of contribution that was lost. I am pretty sure that many other
> developers with more serious contribution than mine feel the same.
>
> Perhaps I am missing the whole picture here, but IMHO, unless there is a
> way to integrate into the project the current, free of charge
> contribution that already exists, I don't know what good development
> funding would do.
>
> Just my 2 Eurocents.
>
> Regards,
> Vlasis Hatzistavrou.

This is the impression that I get as I referenced earlier and I am not even
a developer, I just keep tabs on development issues on the dev list and
bugtracker.

I have seen it over and over and over.  Even many posts, why was my such and
such closed? to the dev list.

I am not sure how priorities are assigned or whatever, and possibly with
funding, then these developers' contributions would get more attention, or
is it possibly the features that would make ABE or SwitchVox a more valuable
product get more attention?

If it is the latter, I suggest Digium go IPO and see what happens.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro