[asterisk-biz] Why so many international customers ask for free samples

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Fri Oct 24 19:46:56 CDT 2008

I've been on both sides of this.  I suggest:

Charge for samples, but offer the option of refund upon return (if
practical).  And simultaneously:

Develop criteria for determining free sample eligibility that is
appropriate to your product.  It might be an individual judgment call.
Chat with the requester to gauge how serious they are in order to
estimate the probability of continued business.  This is primarily about
two points: (1) your assessment of the likelihood that they really
represent a substantial market, and (2) your confidence that your
product really meets the requirements and is competitive.  Those two
points can be broken down further, and the
interrogation/investigation/qualification process can be formalized as
appropriate.  If you really get a lot of these requests, you can develop
a checklist and score the requests.  Ineligible requesters get a polite
offer to buy a trial version.

Something like that?