[asterisk-biz] Colocated Asterisk Server

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Oct 4 14:17:40 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 14:23 -0400, Igor Hernandez wrote:
> Ouch. The operational cost of voip providers in Europe must be pretty
> high compared to ours.
>
> Is it like that everywhere in Europe or just the UK?

I dont think its that bad at AMS-IX (amsterdam internet exchange) why
you can get resold space where they will manage bgp and all that at
1Gbps for 2500 euro ($4200 or so).  I am unsure if that comes with
transit, I think it does.  AMX-IX is mostly a peering point, so if you
get it direct (where 10Gbps is readily available if you are doing insane
call counts :) you get rack space only and a switch port, but have to do
all the bgp peering negotiations yourself, and have to get transit
yourself.  That however is not that expensive to get.  Power was
included in the prices that I got.

Course this is the place that next year is doing gigabit to the home,
granted some other places already have it, so its not going to be that
special, it just means that wholesale bandwidth has to be cheap enough
if they are able to sell gigabit to residential customers who wont pay a
fortune.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200