[asterisk-biz] Colocated Asterisk Server

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Oct 1 21:56:37 CDT 2008

> > No my question is, does anyone know of an off the shelf server that
> > would fall within the power budget of  0.5A at load?

well in the UK 0.5A would be 0.5*220=110 watts.  0.9*220=198 watts.
That really isnt that much, although odds are if you are using that much
it would be more from disks or TDM hardware than the cpu itself.

Some of the newer intel chips are being targeted at lower power
consumption I *think* the woodcrest and clovertowns (basically the same
different core count though) are in that group.  But the chip makers are
realizing that large users cant afford the power requirements when you
are talking about dozens or more servers. Afford can mean either
environmental or monetary in this sense.

For reference here is a "news" article dated about 18 months ago that
talks about the L5310 (low end clovertown iirc)
http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/03/23/intel-releases-50-watt-server-processors
At 12.5 watts per core that isnt that bad.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200