[asterisk-biz] WTB: CNAM database

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Nov 29 21:42:04 CST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 22:22 -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:
> VIP Carrier wrote:
>
> > So show is maintaining it?
>
> Mostly the ILECs.

also note that most ilecs do not like caching, reselling, or many other
things. I had not really been following this thread, so I dont know if
this was brought up before or not.

Generally when you get CNAM data, you have to sign a contract that
prevents you from doing any of the things that decreases the ilec
revenue stream, and that if you give this information to anyone they
have to have similar restrictions placed upon them to prevent a backdoor
type approach where you set up two companies, one that just forwards
info to the other who caches and distributes it at will.

So if you do get access to a CNAM database be sure to look at the
contracts and make certain its usable and dont just trust that it will
be.
pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721