[asterisk-biz] How to live in this world without job

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Nov 11 10:25:54 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Bill Michaelson wrote:
>
> > Well put.  The other side of the coin, repeatedly demonstrated at every
> > economic downturn, is that the security benefits of full-time employment
> > relationships can be over-rated.
> >
> > Of course, you implied this in your "anything else" clause...
>
> Indeed.  But I also think that this fashionable new Economy 2.0 way of
> thinking where every individual is his/her own free-agent brand and
> whatever skills they have their "marketable service" is highly
> overrated, if only because it's downright unrealistic.
>
> It takes more than having skills to make a marketable service or
> product.  The formula is much more complex and, critically, requires far
> more inputs than just your ability to do some thing or class of thing
> well.
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

My reply was to Andy's post titled "How to live in this world without job",
nothing more.

There are plenty of other answers, such as marry a rich woman, live off
nature in the wild, find a vacant building, tap electric from somewhere for
heat or whatever.  I have at plans A,B,C,D, and even E.

I was more suggesting a way for Andy to make income while not having a
"Job", not shed the chains of whatever.......  I think (although not sure)
he has money worries, not chains or boss worries.  It is China after all.

I was not saying or even remotely implying that freelancing is for everyone,
it is easy, it is sustainable, or anything of the sort.  I was simply
suggesting that it is a way to live in this world without a job......
Sometimes people read too much into things, or their mind wanders from the
topic.

I am not sure if the figure is correct or not but I read that 1/3 of the US
working population is some sort of Freelancer.

You have to wear many hats, price yourself correctly, turn away customers
that are going to be trouble, CYA, and save during good months to cover bad
months.....  BUT it does cover "How to live in this world without job" in a
way that can be actionable immediately, while looking for a "Job".

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro