[asterisk-biz] How to live in this world without job

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Nov 11 09:31:14 CST 2008

I think I would agree philosophically, especially about the fact that
demand for professional services on a consulting basis is more resilient
in a downturn environment than job security or stability.

As you say, things still need to get done, and this way they can be done
while paying a consultant less than would be necessary to pay for a
full-time employee to handle the task - both in terms of money and
opportunity cost.  Consultants/contractors do not require benefits, and
do not have to be trained or kept continuously busy/paid beyond the
requirements of the project, or otherwise organisationally accommodated.
  Despite the much higher project or hourly rates, this makes
consultants eminently more affordable and a wiser economic decision in
many situations.

I would, however, throw in a cautionary note whose general effect is
that freelance consulting as a full-time professional endeavour is
governed by the same laws of economics and marketplace realities as any
other business endeavour.  So, I think my concern is with universalising
this path or suggesting that it is for everyone or even for most people.
  Being on your own as a contractor isn't going to bring automatic
money, prosperity, or even survival any more than anything else is
automatic.

As a successful freelancer, I am confident you already know this very
intimately.  But I think it's important that people thinking about doing
it understand this.

Most of what can be said about the sustainability of this approach can
be summed up as:  "There's a difference between a [successful] business
model and 'doing work for money.'"

People in the latter category generally end up feeling like they have
the worst of all worlds - no security, working twice (or more) as much
for half (or less) the money, and 8 different bosses (clients).  If you
end up in this situation, the "emancipatory" feelings of "escaping" the
"slavery of the 21st century" (the 9 to 5) can evaporate faster than you
can say "I'd be making more on the unemployment dole."

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems