[asterisk-biz] How to live in this world without job

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Nov 11 07:01:46 CST 2008

Andy, read the book "Who Moved my Cheese".

China is or has put an economic stimulus package to the tune of ~$550
billion.  If done correctly, that may help the market, but I figure that
government officials and top businessmen will pocket the cash.

Anyways, I found that having a "Job" is not for me.  I used to think the way
you did and perhaps if it were the old days where people in the US had job
security, a great retirement package, and all the benefits, I may think
differently, but probably not.

Andy, you need to be a "Freelancer".  Freelancer/Consultants usually do well
in economic downturns because while full time people are being laid off or
fired, things still need to get done.  As a Consultant, you charge a much
higher price per hour or per task than you would as a "Full Time Employee".

The company that contracts you for a project makes out very well usually and
so do you if you can stay busy.

Anyways, I hope you had enough income to save a bit when you had a "Job" so
you could save a bit.

It is time to re--invent "Andy" as an expert in his niche.  Learn to sell,
you will need to sell yourself, your services, and be able to sit down with
anyone at a company and change your sales pitch depending on who your
audience is.  If it is a techie, then technical sales pitch, CEO get to
increased productivity/doing more with less, Accountant obviously wants to
hear about return on investment.

They are virtually the same pitches, but slightly different, due to the
focus of the audience.  An accountant does not want to hear about techie
stuff (usually).

Bottom line, tighten your belt, spend less, cut costs, find a niche, figure
the most cost effective way to get work, and work on selling yourself and
services.

Andy, what you really need to do is stop worrying, not only will it shorten
your life, make you miserable as well as others close to you, it will
prevent you from seeing and seizing opportunity.

If I was picking a contractor, and had two people come in to sell their
offerings, I will most certainly choose the person that didn't seem very
worried.  Whoever presents and interacts personally well with me will get
the contract (or even job) providing all things being equal except attitude
and presentation.

Thanks,
Steve T