[asterisk-biz] UK proposed wiretap legislation

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu May 22 03:15:53 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:17:02PM +0200, Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> I want to be clear, this is *proposed*.
> Basically the UK gov is working on a database that would have at least
> CDRs, email headers, and web requests (the headline suggests that
> content is also preserved, but I do not get that from the article
> itself, basically its unclear).

The UK already has legislation under The E-Commerce Act, RIP Act,
Communications Act etc, the Comms Act covers anyone providing an
electronic communications service (and the obligations get more onerous
if you're offering Public ECS). They apply to EVERYONE not just the old
traditional telecos (to people providing service in the UK).

ISP/ITSP/Telco/s all have to maintain various records, it's just now the
Government want to be able to store the data in a central location and
do what they want with it. They already have some of these facilities
under RIP (under legal intercept rules). Depending on how big you are
depends on whether you have to include RIP facilities as part of your
infrastructure or the spooks will fit their own (and it's an offence to
tell anyone if you've had a RIP warrant served on you too).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com