[asterisk-biz] UK proposed wiretap legislation

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed May 21 16:17:02 CDT 2008

I want to be clear, this is *proposed*.

Basically the UK gov is working on a database that would have at least
CDRs, email headers, and web requests (the headline suggests that
content is also preserved, but I do not get that from the article
itself, basically its unclear).

Providers would have to submit this data which police can then go
through with the appropriate court order (or hackers can without one,
disgruntled employees can with one, etc).

The article states that the records are required to be kept for a year
anyway, which is why I think its only who contacted whom as opposed to
content of what was said.  But there is a requirement for phone
providers, so it may be of interest to some on this list to be aware of.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/21/uk-planning-to-monitor-and-record-every-phone-call-web-page-an/

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200