[asterisk-biz] Small business question from developing nation

Mitul Limbani mitul at enterux.com
Tue May 20 21:56:58 CDT 2008

Hi Mudy,

Please read my response below,

> I'm from developing nation somewhere beyond pacific, where IP solution is
> still rare and the market is quite small (for you guys). We're selling /
> renting PABX solution for buildings. I'm trying to switch the business into
> full IP solution.
>
> Asterisk Digium is a sound solution. However, in our calculation the price
> of IP phone makes total price higher. I've tried to calculate using analog
> converter and cheap phone but still doesnt look so good (calculation below).
> Using converter seems not a right solution. Most lowend customer choose
> cheaper used PABX while highend choose new PABX with fancy digital phone and
> some (limited) IP capabilities.
>
> My question, (to make it easier) which is better solution:
>
> a. I should look for cheaper IP phone that is compatible with Digium (do you
> have any clue where I can find such phone?)
>
> b. I should try to develop local implementation of Asterisk (we have some
> low cost local engineer, but would it difficult and cost much more?)
>
> c. I should look for existing asterisk implementation other than Digium that
> is cheaper (perhaps from India or China?)
>
> d. Other.... ?

There can be several arguement about the associated costs.

But here is what my findings are from India.

PAP2T is still cheaper since cost per port is below US$25 (but you have
to bear cost of 100Mbps switches)

The next option that comes to my mind is the Xorcom AstriBank's in
which cost per port is roughly US$45-50 (and here you can directly
punch in the RJ11 phones as Zap FXS extension in asterisk)

And the last potential option is to go in with Low cost IP Phones, yes
there are good amount of IP Phones available in china who cost around
US$28 - US$65 FOB China, so you gotta calculate your import duty cost
etc, but another problem with them is, if you ordered 1000 units you
would get that price, but if in future you want the same phone, that
company might have vanished in thin air and/or would have stopped
making those IP Phones and/or they have zero support provided on the
phone.

More over, IP Phones might increase your wiring cost (coz RJ45 cables
are costly then RJ11 per meter in developing nations) and the
consultants who punch RJ45 are also costly then normal electrician who
punch RJ11

and this is the reason why I see Xorcom AstriBank might be a clear
winner in developing nations especially for high density installations.

If you want further details / consultation, feel free to email me off
the list,

Thanks & Regards,
Mitul Limbani,
Founder & CEO,