[asterisk-biz] ANI

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:41:47 CDT 2008

Hello,

I just wanted to add my personal ANI story since this thread has
gotten so long anyway. I had been under the impression for years that
ANI was always correct and could not be spoofed. that was until I met
one of my client's cut rate telco provider. They are based in Orlando,
FL(and that's all I will mention about the company itself) and somehow
they manage to not send ANI on some calls coming in on 800 numbers.
This confused the heck out of me because for years I thought that was
impossible. But there it was, blank ANI. I could not spoof CallerID as
I could on local T1 circuits, but for some reason every once in a
while the ANI on inoming 800 number calls would show up blank. The
carrier had no clue it was happening and said if that happens then
they just wouldn't bill the client. And it stayed like that for months
until something stranger happened...

One day I got a call from the client that they were being call blasted
from the same number in Orlando. So I went into their logs and noticed
the same ANI had called them over 300 times that morning already, but
the weird part is that many of those calls were answered and had talk
time. I asked the client about it and they started looking at it and
figured out that there were people on the other end of these calls,
and not all the same people. It turns out that the carrier was sending
the same ANI for every call coming into the 800 numbers from certain
areas in Florida. That stopped later that day(again with no
explanation from the carrier) and has happened again a few times since
as well.

So the lessons I took away from this is that ANI can certainly be
messed with, and stay away from cut-rate telco providers.

MATT---