[asterisk-biz] ANI

Mike Hammett asterisk-biz at ics-il.net
Mon May 12 22:17:32 CDT 2008

I'm going to attempt to sum up things discussed on various lists.

ANI and CNID are two different things, though are often the same number.  BTN is yet another item that may or may not be the same.

ANI can be spoofed, though details not revealed on list for obvious reasons.

Toll free, premium (900), and 911 numbers receive the ANI since one of them is being billed for the call and the other is billing for services rendered.  That's why collection services and private investigators have you return calls on a toll free line.

You need SS7 or someone above you that has SS7 to set ANI as CNID to view the ANI.

Some people think there should be regulation against ANI manipulation, others don't.

Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com