[asterisk-biz] ANI

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon May 12 16:53:35 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 17:26 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > > Nope, it proves that US federal government agencies often break (or,
> > > less often, are exempt from) lots of laws and regulations, often to the
> > > detriment of precisely the people those laws were designed to protect.
> > >
> > > And the common usage is "case in point"
> >
> > Uhh, you forgot to quote where you said it was required to point
> > somewhere valid for the call to go through, which is false it does not.
>
> <sigh>
>
> The standard operation of the elements in the PSTN is such that if a
> valid ANI is not transmitted along with every call, *some element
> somewhere* is going to have a heart attack of one scale or another.
>
> Better?

Ok first this will be my last post in response to what you are saying,
because you keep changing your point, you keep redefining stuff, and
generally you wont accept in any way that you either misspoke or worse
are not informed about telephony.  Misspeaking wouldnt be that bad, just
as I did with case in point vs case and point, but constantly trying to
argue that you are right, when "right" keeps changing makes it pointless
to continue.

So with that said, no its not better, you first said it was required to
be valid, and now again say its required to be valid.  But its not if
the federal government is able to send it and the call goes through
(they arent the only ones that do this, they are just an 'every call'
one, at least from specific departments).  So if some "element"
somewhere is going to have a heart attack why dont the phone companies
refuse to place the call?  Why dont they protect their own network?  Why
do the calls go through every time without the network falling apart,
given that probation and pretrial services (people on bail) both call
with that as ANI and caller id?  That is a lot of calls in a given day.

Ok, now lets address your middle argument about this, you said ANI is a
delivery method, I dont even know how to fit that in with something
somewhere will have a heart attack if its not valid, since if it were a
delivery method then the contents wouldnt be as important as how those
contents are delivered, but you made the argument that the contents are
important or something will have a heart attack.  It is this
flip-flopping that makes me think you are either running for public
office or just dont know what you are talking about and will "correct"
anyone who challenges your assertion that you do.

BTW anyone that really knows what ANI is would know its not a delivery
method, but information about the call, so its silly to have even tried
that argument, at least the one you present here seems more plausible
even though it too can be easily disproven.

So with all of this I will just say, anyone who has spoofed ani with an
invalid number and had their call go through you must have been very
special to have not caused heart attacks of some "element" somewhere,
the fact that you can do it time and again is just coincidence, you are
a fortunate one.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200