[asterisk-biz] ANI

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun May 11 17:53:54 CDT 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Alex Balashov
> <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>> Bill Michaelson wrote:

>>> Digital signatures?  a la RSA?
>> Clever, agile, and very ingenious and all-around open-source affirmative
>> of you.  But you might have missed the "big boys actually implement it"
>> part.  :-)
>>
>> --
>> Alex Balashov
>> Evariste Systems
>> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
>> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
>> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
>> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599
>>

> Well a government mandate would make the "Big Boys actually implement it."
>
> Let me spoof NSA with DHS ANI and visa versa using WiFi and a hacked
> asterisk box.

That is probably the ticket, indeed.

But my guess is that the most intensive pressure is going to come from
the lobbying efforts of ILECs, as the same catch up to the fact that an
increasing number of VoIP calls are being terminated into their networks
from "who knows" and presented as originating from anywhere, throwing a
wrench into their finely billing and OSS processes, honed over numerous
decades.  VoIP termination threatens to render partially meaningless
their immensely complicated tariffs and service type distinctions...
intra-LATA local, intra-LATA rated ("LD"), real inter-LATA LD (IXC),
many stipulations of interconnection agreements, associated regulations...