[asterisk-biz] ANI

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 13:31:45 CDT 2008

--- On Fri, 5/9/08, Steve Totaro <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> The only other explanation is that he used two different
> phones but I am the trusting type.  Besides the quoted
> article confirms that VoIP providers use Caller ID as ANI.

I don't see a way to do it otherwise, as a carrier for outgoing
traffic, how exactly are you going to check or verify that the
CID being sent is not the ANI? just because you don't provide
the incoming number doesn't mean it's not valid, and if you do
it still doesn't mean it is. In essence as a carrier you have
no choice but to "trust" the CID you're being fed.

As far as regulating this - no thanks! I agree there should be
a law out there against FRAUDULENT use, but the last thing any
VoIP carrier needs is regulation on LEGIT use. In essence if
you put a law out there saying "you should prevent your customers
from abusing this" that's fine, but if you put out a law saying
"spoofing CID is illegal" you're basically deeming most VSPs
illegal. Again, just because I "own" the number from provider A
doesn't mean I don't have to "spoof" it for provider B. Incoming
and outgoing are totally separate.

  -- Nitzan