[asterisk-biz] ANI

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri May 9 12:12:59 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 09:52:40AM -0700, Miles Scruggs wrote:
>> I just tested spoofing the ANI with Steve, I'll be happy to send you a
>> spoofed call as well if you want to become a believer.
>>
>> Only thing that is regulated is spoofing to cause harm or fraud.
>
> What, Miles, is your originating carrier and circuit type?
>
> Steve?  You got two calls, purportedly from the same circuit, with
> different (hopefully invalid) ANIs, and the same CNID as one another?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink                      jra at baylink.com
> Designer                     The Things I Think                       RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates     http://baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1 727 647 1274
>
>             Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
>             Those who count the vote decide everything.
>               -- (Joseph Stalin)

His VoIP provider is sending both ANI and Caller ID as the same value,
both valid.  The carriers are free to do this I guess, if or until
there is a law/rule passed to stop it.

The only other explanation is that he used two different phones but I
am the trusting type.  Besides the quoted article confirms that VoIP
providers use Caller ID as ANI.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro