[asterisk-biz] ANI

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri May 9 12:54:26 CDT 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Charles Vance wrote:

> Actually there is no federal law as yet.
>
> There is a House Bill HR251 that will prohibit spoofing with intent to do
> harm or fraud. Also there is a senate Bill SR37 that has similar
> language.
>
> However, there is no indication if the Senate will even bother to
> conference with the house to make it law, so for now there is no law
> regarding spoofing.

I'm betting they don't specify ANI vs CLID.  I believe ANI is used for
billing and call records, and CLID is for pushing to the receiving end.  In
my experience, I have NOT been able to find a VoIP termination provider
that can either accept the ANI and CLID as different values, or themselves
SET the ANI or CLID as different values.

I wonder if the interlata and intralata rates are based on ANI or CLID.  I
could really save some money terminating calls if I could set the ANI as
within a LATA, but the CLID a completely different value.  I'm sure this is
considered "FRAUD" but given no regulations, hey, use it until it's no
longer allowed.

That's what built free conference calling in Iowa!

Beckman