[asterisk-biz] ANI

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri May 9 11:22:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:08:07AM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> ANI and caller ID are different.  On a toll free circuit, you are
> provided with true ANI due to billing.  Caller ID can be changed,
> whereas rates (ANI) can not be changed.  ANI provides the true
> caller's number for billing as well as ANI cannot be blocked as
> opposed to CallerID.

And, to expand, ANI is necessarily set by the originating end-office,
while CNID *can* be accepted over ISUP from the caller, and they're
delivered in differently marked packets to the callee (assuming
ISDN/ISUP; if you're getting calls over analog or RBS T-1, then the
delivery will of course be different, and will depend, too on the
carrier who serves you.  It is possible to get ANI on *non* INWATS
circuits, though I don't know precisely what the regulartions are; PSAP
trunks, for example, generally get ANI to feed their ALI systems, as I
understand it.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.