[asterisk-biz] VoIP 9-1-1 failure - don't let it happen to you

andres andres at paglayan.com
Tue May 6 11:06:55 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 05:57 -0400, SIP wrote:

> The comments in that article, which, by the way, is not reachable at the
> URL you provided (you left off an l :
> http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/05/05/rethinking-voip.html)
> show that people really still have no grasp on the technology used for
> VoIP or the difficulties in providing E911 service.
>
> Some of the questions/suggestions given were things like:
>
> -Why can't we put GPS into VoIP phones like we do in cell phones?
> - Be like AT&T and the minute a phone changes locations (changes IPs),
> lock it out completely until the customer provides current location
> information or verifies he's at the old location.
>
> Neither of which are terribly effective. GPS is rather unreliable
> indoors, and if you're truly on the move, having your phone stop working
> every time you switch APs until you reconfirm your location (which you
> may not even know) is, perhaps, a worthless solution.
>
> The overall problem lies in the way people view VoIP as a replacement
> for telephones. Skype is VoIP, but its dependence on the computer puts
> it into a class of VoIP services such as those tied with other IM
> services that people simply don't EXPECT to behave like a phone.
> However, when you have a service which CAN be used with something like a
> phone, people then expect it to behave just like a phone in all ways.
> They've tied their awareness to a familiar paradigm, and they're unable
> to expand beyond that.
>
> It's really fascinating from the standpoint of psychology.
>
> When WiMax comes into play in a larger scale (assuming it ever becomes
> cost-effective), it will open up yet further avenues of misconception.
> Will my new WiMax-enabled GoogleTalk Communicator or AIM Handset have
> E911? I mean... it LOOKS like a phone, right? So it should have E911. Of
> course, if I'm outdoors, they might have GPS built in, but if I'm
> downstairs in the mall, with wifi repeaters all around to keep the
> signal strong, and just roaming from store to store, how would anyone
> ever know where to find me?
>
> These are basic problems for which NO one has a solution. As many
> E911-capable VoIP services as there are these days, the simple fact
> remains that truly nomadic VoIP does not have the infrastructure yet to
> be able to handle E911. And the more flexible we make it, the less
> chance we will ever solve that problem without massive redesigns of the
> way IP is routed and handled.
>

> Trevor Peirce wrote:
> > Drew Gibson wrote:
> >
> >> This call was one of the marginal cases and this is the question I was
> >> trying to ask. As with most emergencies, this situation was created by
> >> a combination of failures.
> >>
> >> Rightly or wrongly the current situation is that...
> >>
> >> 1. The customer expects the Telco to take care of 911 entirely, as
> >> they always have in the past.
> >>
> > Indeed.  The VoIP provider should take a more proactive role to ensure
> > the customer understands that 911 address != billing address.  First,
> [...]

I still strongly believe is not a voip only responsibility
may be I am being naive here,
but if not provided by the registrar
why don't enforce all VoIP devices to have to configure by firmware a
fail-over 911 routing,
(with the due 911 counterpart from 911 services)
all will be fixed to something like sip:911 at 911.gov.us (or ca)
and you get to enter some data like location,
doable things @ 911:
some IP mapping when receiving
yearly auto call to confirm location field
test site to test, confirm location, and enable service (like
sip:911 at test.911.gov.us)
ask where are you? if voip call
(happens with cells too, some calls appear as originating from different
cities)