[asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ? 1ezphone.com

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Tue Mar 4 06:57:24 CST 2008

Well I suppose now is as good a time as any to break cover :-)

If you are interested in a SIP browser based solution check out;

www.Surphone.com <http://www.surphone.com/>

Yes there are server based and ASP based pricing models, yes it uses
Flash - not it doesn't use Adobe FMS.

No this isn't related to the work I did with Mexuar, Yes I am consulting
with Surphone for the commercialization of their technology and yes I
will be selling the technology here in the USA.

If you are a USA based client and have an interest send me an email for
more details.

Regards,

Dean Collins

Cognation Pty Ltd

dean at cognation.net

+1-212-203-4357

+61-2-9016-5642 (Sydney in-dial).

Asterisk

> > >     Discussion"

> > >     Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Ribbit.com ?

> > >     Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:21:50 -0500

> > >     Ribbit has a totally different model as they are a full blown
ITSP and

> > >     have provided a Flex/Actionscript API to their Flash phone

> > >     component at

> > >     no charge to developers. I have an app ready to roll as soon
as

> > >     they are

> > >     completely live.

> > >     I would love to see a similar type API to a Flash SIP or IAX2

> > >     component

> > >     where I could access my own Asterisk or Freeswitch server.

> Flash does not afaik support UDP so the RTP part would be difficult at

> best.  I am unsure if the really new versions do or not.  Granted you

> could have a plugin (flash does have the ability to execute programs

> that are in a special directory) which really only would need to be a

> tcp->udp converter if you wanted, although it could be a full RTP
stack

> as well instead of doing that in flash.

> Gizmophone has a web component that transmits the audio via HTTPS via

> flash.  I havent looked at ribbit so I dont know if that is how they
are

> doing it or not.  They also use a plugin to try to limit how many
calls

> you can do at one time off one box (they did give away free minutes at

> one point, they may still do that).

> While the SIP RFC requires TCP support for signalling, the media would

> still be udp and still be the problem.  And if you want to connect to

> asterisk you have to use UDP signalling since asterisk does not yet

> officially support TCP, despite the RFCs requirement.

> Personally what I think would be better is a very simple app that can

> send events (on/off hook, dnd/presence, dtmf digits, number dialed,
etc)

> as well as media (just stream it from the mic direct, which is
something

> that flash has built in).  This would connect to some server side

> process that will then connect to whatever protocol you prefer for

> termination elsewhere.

> On lossy networks you would have a problem of a dropped packet causing

> retransmit, however this may not be that big of a problem in many

> environments.  If you have any sort of jitter buffer you should be
able

> to resync the call dynamically so that packet loss does not cause a

> growing skew between leg A and leg B.  This is probably the biggest

> problem to solve, and I do not know how big of a problem it will be
for

> most users (for some it will be a killer).

> Now if they have java installed as well, flash can do liveconnect
calls

> to the JRE, but if you are going to go that route, it might be better

> just do it all in java to begin with.

> Now flash recently aquired a key person that was involved in SIP
stuff.

> The theory (and some statements officially) indicate that the
intention

> is to build a proper sip stack into flash, but that has yet to be

> released.

> There are other bridges that exist to basically do the tcp->udp

> translation, which could be run on the users system.  Examples include

> http://www.transmote.com/flosc/

> While this is designed to do the open sound protocol, it would not be

> difficult to make it do something else, and if you really know action

> script you can get around little things like you dont have to do xml

> with the xmlsocket, you can bypass the null byte terminator that is

> often sent, etc.

> For what is needed to do the tcp->udp bridge it wouldnt be hard to
write